Pathfinder now provides a messaging tool for users to send and receive messages within the system, including the option to send and receive messages to parents or guardians who access the patient portal.
When the messaging options are enabled, a user will receive system-generated messages such as scheduling updates (for users with the Practice Management license). Before starting to use this feature, it’s important to understand the settings and permissions that are associated to the messaging functions.
NOTE: PHI will occasionally send system-wide alerts regarding scheduled system maintenance.
By default, the messaging settings allowing people-to-people messages will be turned on for customer sites.
Customer can request for it to be turned off OR an admin can adjust the setting to turn off the settings.
To manage these settings:
1. An Admin will need to navigate to Admin > Company > Settings.
The settings will appear in the company setting list (search Messaging), or add them by clicking +New. SELECT one setting at a time.
2. The Value field should either be 0 to disable or 1 to enable. The default is 1, meaning it’s enabled. The data type field should be Boolean (AND, OR). SELECT Add to apply settings.
0 = disabled
1 = enabled (default)
3. The ALLOWMESSAGING setting allows for any messages to be generated or received. Setting the value will disable any messages to be sent or received, and the Messaging icon that appears in the Pathfinder system will be removed.
4. Keeping or setting the value for this setting to 1 enables messages. With this enabled, all employees who access Pathfinder (not Scout) will be able to send and receive messages from other employees at the same company.
5. The ALLOWPATIENTPORTALMESSAGING setting is tied to the Patient Portal feature. It allows a 2nd tab to appear within the Patient Portal that provides access to users of the Portal to send and receive messages.
NOTE: There is no filtering for location or therapy team for the employee to employee communication.
Note: Guardians with access to the Patient Portal will only be allowed to message the patient’s supervisor OR respond to any messages sent to them.
Permissions for Security Roles
With the ALLOWMESSAGING setting enabled, there is an additional option that can be selected through security role permissions. It allows an employee to send a message to guardians through the Patient Portal.
NOTE: This permission will not be added to any security roles by default (with the exception of company admins) and should be added to any and all security roles to which it applies.
This permission “Can Employees Message Guardians” is found under the Messaging section.
If selected, users with that security role will see guardians in the list of options when composing a new message thread.
Leaving the permission turned off will not allow new messages to be created for guardians, though, a user can still respond to messages sent to them by a guardian. (This can only happen if the employee is set as the Default Supervisor of at least 1 patient associated to the Guardian.)
The list of parents an employee has access to is filtered by the same filters put in place with the patient selector (through therapy teams and location security). If an employee has access to a patient and a guardian entered for that patient, then that employee will have the option to select that guardian. The system does not check to see if the guardian has access to or utilizes the Patient Portal.
1. The Messaging tool is available under the talking bubble icon found on the left side of the Pathfinder system. This feature is not available in Pathfinder Scout. Badges will appear over the icon to alert a user to new messages upon login.
2. Open the Messaging tool - see a 30-day history of sent and received messages grouped by person.
3. Create a new message - CLICK +New button in the upper left corner of the screen.
SELECT who you are sending a message to by selecting from the drop down list in the “To:” field. The list will include company employees or company employees AND guardians to the patients the user has permission to view.
4. Respond to a message thread - the New button is not required.
CLICK on the correspondents’ name from the list and continue the conversation by composing a new message in the field at the top of the thread. All messages will appear with the most recent at the top.
5. The System will also generate messages when events are created.
- Messages will be send about events to attendees and guardians.
- A pop-up message will appear if the user is in the system when the message generates along with badges to indicate new messages are available to be read.
- Occasionally a system message will be generated by Pathfinder to alert users of scheduled maintenance or downtime.
There are preliminary steps to take prior to guardian messaging working seamlessly. Make sure the Patient Portal guide is reviewed in detail prior to utilizing guardian communication.
The following should occur prior to setting up Guardian communication:
A security role for guardians should be created adding the portal interface as well as individual permissions to ensure which pieces of information are used.
Employees who are supervisors are indicated as such in their employee record. In the employee information section of the details tab, there is an option for “Can Supervise Appointments.” This must be selected and the record saved. This is not license-specific.
The default supervisor should be selected for all patients who have guardians with access to the Patient Portal. Only employees who have “Can Supervise Appointments” in their record will be allowed to be selected as a default supervisor in the patient record. To select the default supervisor, look for the field in the intake tab within the Patient record.
Guardian invitations should be created providing access to the patient portal. A guardian email address will be required for this step.
Make sure that the Setting for CUSTSETTING_ALLOWMESSAGING and CUSTSETTING_ALLOWPATIENTPORTALMESSAGING are both enabled.
If non-supervisors will be able to message guardians, also adjust security roles to select a permission from Messaging section called "Can Employees Message Guardians."
As always, if help is requested in setting up this feature based on company preferences, please contact Pathfinder support.
Proprietary & Confidential